Thursday, 17 April 2008

Intent not enough to fight causes

The Santa Clara
By Cheryl Chiu
4/17/08

It's a little silly that I only recently learned of the rampant sex industry all over the world. Perhaps like many of you, I always knew of the sex trade industry. Yet because it's so far removed from my daily life, the issue has always been pushed to the back of my mind.

I have recently done research about people who have overcome unfathomable difficulties. Through my research, not only has my faith in the human spirit been renewed, but also my faith in the human ability to endure pain. The people in the stories I've read have endured pain, but they take their trauma and turn it into something positive and beautiful.

Somaly Mam, a former child sex slave, is one of these people. She now heads the Somaly Mam Foundation, which builds shelters for girls who have escaped the brothels and helps them reintegrate into society. The foundation accomplishes this by providing food, education and positive role models for the girls.

Even though Mam, who continues to live and work in Cambodia, has her life threatened on a regular basis, she continues to promote her cause. In an interview on "The Tyra Banks Show," Mam said that she cannot stand the sight of the many young in brothels being raped, abused and often tortured for refusing to perform.

As I was watching the interview, the camera panned to the audience, and I saw many shocked people with their mouths open and even tears flowing down their cheeks. I'm sure many of us would have this exact response had we been there to hear the tragic stories.

However, I believe the reason that so many injustices continue to occur is that, while people may find the injustices horrible, not many people actually do anything about them.

We all intend to do good things, but life sometimes gets in our way -- the stress of school, tuition bills and family problems often distract from more global issues.

I know that I've used the aforementioned reasons as an excuse to not become a passionate social activist -- after all, who expects a 19-year-old to save the world?

The thing is, no one expects you to save the world. However, I think we should all be expected to do something.

These actions can start in your own community and hopefully become a continuous effort.

Unfortunately, if you feel like you have to help just to be a "good person," your efforts may be short-lasted. However, if you can find a cause that you truly believe in and become personally attached to, you will fight for that cause and not give up until change occurs.

If every person in this country begins by lighting one fire, embracing one cause, then the battle against injustice will be well underway.

No comments: