Thursday, 13 November 2008

Groups use festival as forum against violence

Game face

Photo by: HENG CHIVOAN
A team of visiting dragon boat racers parade down the riverfront on Tuesday ahead of the day's first events.

The Phnom Penh Post

Written by Khouth Sophak Chakrya
Wednesday, 12 November 2008

ANTI-DOMESTIC violence groups have taken their message to the streets this Water Festival, with hundreds of motodops and cyclos touring bustling Phnom Penh with T-shirts and hats promoting "happy families".

Local NGO group Project Against Domestic Violence (PADV) as well as Plan International have clad more than 500 drivers with their campaign's message, "happy family is our wish", with the aim of taking advantage of the millions of people who are expected to converge on the capital for this week's festivities.

"I hope the millions of people who visit the water festival this year will see this message and will understand and stop domestic violence altogether," said PADV coordinator Chan Sareth.

She said that due to poverty and misunderstanding in rural Cambodia, more than 40 percent of women and children have suffered from domestic violence.

Vong Socheata, a 45-year-old villager from Kandal province who had traveled to Phnom Penh for the festival, said that as a victim of domestic violence herself, the campaign gave her hope.

"When my husband gets drunk, he always fights my children and me," Vong Socheata said.

"So I hope people see the message."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats's Up i am new to this. I came upon this chat board I find It extremely accessible & it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & guide other users like it has helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around

Anonymous said...

Greetings i am fresh to this, I stumbled upon this chat board I have found It extremely accommodating & it has helped me so much. I hope to give something back & aid others like its helped me.

Thank's, See You About.

Anonymous said...

Good Day i am fresh on here, I came upon this site I have found It truly accommodating and it's helped me out alot. I should be able to give something back & help others like its helped me.

Thanks a load, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

Howdy i am new here. I hit upon this website I have found It exceedingly accessible and its helped me out alot. I hope to give something back & aid other users like it has helped me.

Thank's, See You Later.

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this board I have found It absolutely helpful & it has helped me out a lot. I should be able to give something back and guide other people like its helped me.

Cheers all, See Ya Around.

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm new here, I stumbled upon this site I have found It incredibly helpful and its helped me a lot. I hope to give something back and support other people like it has helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See You Later.

Anonymous said...

Howdy i'm fresh to this, I hit upon this website I find It exceedingly accessible & it's helped me so much. I should be able to give something back & support other users like its helped me.

Thank's, See You Around.