Friday, 27 February 2009

WHO warns over new malaria strain

Despite treatment and medical advances, malaria still kills more than a million people every year [Reuters]
Al Jazeera English
Thursday, February 26, 2009

The World Health Organisation has said there is evidence that a highly resistant strain of malaria could have emerged in the border region of Thailand and Cambodia.

The organisation said on Wednesday that studies in the area suggest that the most powerful anti-malaria treatment is ineffective against a new strain of parasite.

Artemisinin, a compound extracted from a Chinese herb, is viewed as the best drug against malaria and is recommended for use in combination with other medicines to stop resistance.

But the WHO said there was evidence that parasites resistant to artemisinin had emerged along the border between Cambodia and Thailand, where workers walk for miles every day to clear forests.

"If we do not put a stop to the drug-resistant malaria situation that has been documented in the Thai-Cambodia border, it could spread rapidly to neighbouring countries and threaten our efforts to control this deadly disease," Hiroki Nakatani, the WHO assistant director-general, said in a statement.

Deadly disease

The prevalence of malaria has been reduced over the past 50 years, but the disease continues to kill more than a million people every year.

Resistance along the Thai-Cambodia border started with chloroquine, followed by resistance to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and mefloquine, drugs that have been used to treat malaria for several years.

The risk of resistance to any drug increases when it is used on its own. The WHO has therefore recommended the use of artemisinin combination therapies.

3 comments:

clara said...

Been in search of a legit hacker, having lost over $2000 to fake
hackers. I came across fasttechhacker He seem to be the only legit one
everyone recommends. I hired him and he was able to remove some
provocative images off my website for me in just 24hours,they also
helped me hack my boyfriend INSTAGRAM page at a very affordable price
,mail him on fasttechhacker@gmail.com

clara said...

I want to publicly appreciate the effort of ( fasttechhacker@gmail.com) for helping me hack my partner's facebook,

whatsapp and I was able to listen to his incoming and outgoing calls in real time, read text messages without

physical access to His phone in less than 24 hours and my partner did not know. he helped me immensely relieving

some pressure of infidelity from my spouse. The evidence helped me in the court during divorced and everything

worked in my favor.Trust me ( fasttechhacker@gmail.com) is solely the best

clara said...

I have used quite a number of times and they have never disappointed me.They helped me monitor my Husband phone

when I was gathering evidence fasttechhacker@gmail.com during the divorce. I got virtually every information he

has been hiding over the months easily on my own phone: the spy app diverted all his whatsapp, facebook, text

messages, sent and received through the phone: I also got his phone calls and deleted messages. he could not

believe his eyes when he saw the evidence because he had no idea he was hacked. they do all types of mobile hacks

and computer hacks,you get
unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your partner/spouse/anybody’s social account, email,E.T.C Getting the job

done is as simple as sending an email to fasttechhacker@gmail.com