Monday, 30 November 2009

Labour Law: Domestics need legal help: groups



(Posted by CAAI News Media)

Monday, 30 November 2009 11:46 Sen David

Labour Law

Domestic work must be brought into the formal economy and properly regulated in order to combat the abuse and inhumane conditions that plague the sector, officials and nongovernmental organisations said Friday. Speaking at a national consultation meeting in Phnom Penh, Minister of Labour Vong Sauth said that because of the lack of regulation, the government could not accurately count the domestic workers employed in the Kingdom. The entrenchment of domestic servitude in Cambodian society, he added, has slowed the establishment of official protections. “Laws defending domestic workers are complicated because this is a tradition that has existed for many years,” he said. Bill Salter, director of the International Labour Organisation’s sub-regional office for East Asia, estimated that 28,000 children are employed as domestic workers in Phnom Penh alone, around 10 percent of children in the capital. He cited the case of an 11-year-old girl, who was allegedly tortured and beaten by her employers before they were arrested last month, as evidence of the need for protections.

3 comments:

Larry henry said...

best of craigslist

******HELP I NEED YOUR ADVICE*** (VANCOUVER)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
aquagutters@yahoo.ca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I worked on the job for years, loved my work and cared about helping others.

HERE IS THE STORY

I was called in to the office, my employer asked for my drivers abstract. I gave the employer my drivers abstract, it stated that I was accident free and that I didn’t have an updated driver’s license. .

Employer said that I wasn’t to drive during work hours and to take the bus. I agreed to take the bus to the different sites. I told the employer that I would go and get my license updated soon as I got a chance.

Couple of days later the employer then asked me to provided my car insurance for what purpose I don’t know, probably to see if I had valid insurance is my only guess. I didn’t drive the company vehicle. By this time I felt that the employer was taking this situation personally, blowing this situation out of proportion. I didn’t feel that I had to show my employer my vehicle insurance since I was no longer driving during work hours.

Couple of days later the employer called me back to the office, informed me that since I didn’t have a updated driver’s license I was dismissed, for just cause. No two week notice or severance pay for being terminated without notice.

*Comment-All the company employees were given a layoff notice about a month and a half go stating that the employees would be laid off in about 3 months.

I now have my driver’s license 2 weeks later.

The questions are:

Is the general layoff notice that everyone received considered valid as a termination notice even though it isn’t a termination notice?

And is not having a driver’s license just cause? Even though I was still doing my duties like always, just taking the bus now instead of driving?

I have contacted the Labour Standards Act, Labour Standards Act won’t say if I was fired for just cause, or if the general layoff notice is valid or not for a termination notice. They just said to do the “Self Help Kit” with my former employer and if that don’t help then get back to them.

I don’t want to cause trouble/problems with the former employer; I just want what is due me for being a faithful and hard working employee who has put in years and done nothing wrong. After all I do have a family to support and bills like everyone else!

I have been an excellent employee going above and beyond my duties, even volunteering when they needed extra help and being on call 24/7 for emergencies!

PLEASE I NEED

south carolina social security disability lawyer said...

Keep in mind that if your case goes to court you could pay a higher price. Ask if you will be billed by the hour or one standard fee for the entire case.

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little
lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Review my weblog vegas Bailbondsman