Sunday, 22 November 2009

Smith retains lead in Cambodia


(CAAI News Media)
(UKPA)

Wales' Craig Smith remained on course for a maiden Asian Tour title after maintaining a one shot lead at the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open with a third round one-under-par 71 at the Phokeethra Country Club in Siem Reap on Saturday.

With Smith progressing to 10-under overall, Thai youngster Annop Tangkamolprasert heads the chasing pack one shot back after a two under 70 with compatriot Sattaya Supupramai moving into third two shots further adrift after a 68.

Malaysia's Shaaban Hussin (72) and Pariya Junhasavasdikul (72) of Thailand share fourth, four shots off the pace, with India's Shiv Kapur (74), Jbe Kruger of South Africa (69) and Thai duo Udorn Duangdecha (71) and Varut Chomchalam (72) a further shot adrift.

Smith reached the turn in level par 36 and was tied for the lead with Annop before sinking a second birdie of the day at the 16th.

"I played very nicely and hit the ball very well on the front nine," said Smith, who has one previous top-10 finish in Asia.

"I had a lot of chances from inside of six feet but couldn't get anything going with the putter.

"I've got a long way to go. I've got a fantastic talent behind me but I am looking forward to the challenge. The key is to keep my head straight and not to get ahead of myself. I still have 18 difficult holes to play."

No comments: